Thursday, August 26, 2010

The White Mountains






After the Rosson's came back on the 7th of July, we dinked around for a few days then headed back to our trailer which was staying up at the Cabin in the Flagstaff area. We moved me back into the trailer, re-vittled and headed down south of ShowLow in the White Mountains of Az to go Camping with the Rossons (both Justin's family and his Parents), Plus Bubba and Denise (Justin's Sister and her Husband) and their 2 daughters and a friend.

On our way there we were stopped for awhile (50 minutes) for road construction (do not get me started on the road construction rant....we do not have the bandwidth here). A gnarly storm built up behind us, caused a lightning fire, put it out with the rain and then just hammered on us. After all of that, the road crew closed the road for the night and rerouted us around 40 miles to go the last 3. Oh well. We arrived mostly safe and sound (side note:never buy inexpensive diesel on the rez..it clogs your fuel filters and causes no end of problems with your sensors and chips).

We landed in a beautiful forest meadow with more than ample play space for the 5 kids. I managed to make not one but two 80 mile round trips to Showlow to get parts to repair my truck and do some long needed maintenance. Diana went with Bubba, his daughters and Ravi and hiked the 14 mile round trip up Mt. Baldi and back. I claim that I was working on the truck, but in reality I am a wuss and the altitude was killing me. There is a wrecked plane on the trail to the summit from around WWII (I was told, could be completely wrong) as well as some spectacular views and beautiful wildflowers.

All the boy folk, yes that would include Bubba, Justin and I, went shooting on Bubba and Denise's last day. Justin had a nice XD-45 and I had my Raptor and my AR. It is always amazing how fast a couple of hundred of rounds go away. I understand I am in big trouble from both Justin and Bubba's wives for letting them shoot the AR since they both really, really want one now. Just doing my part. Chandler and Collin were both great sports and pretty good shots too.

Rossons Jr. and Sr. and we pulled out a couple of days later, they to head back to Tucson and Green Valley, us to head to NE corner of AZ to see Canyon De Chelley.

No comments:

Post a Comment